Web Hosting is the backbone of a website. The Web Hosting providers give web space on a web server where your files are stored. Web Hosting makes your site visible over the internet. After the domain name registration process, the second and most important step is to choose the right hosting provider for your website. The services provided by the web hosting provider are Bandwidth, Uptime, Disk Space, data backup, firewall protection, technical support, email services, domain name registration, website building tools, and applications. If you are just starting out then a question definitely arises that How to host a website? So, Don’t Worry! I am here to give you a complete guide and steps to host a website. Here in this article, we will learn the steps to host a website if you are a newbie.
What are the Steps to Host a Website?
Step 1- Select the Type of Website you want
You will find two types of websites- Static or Basic and Dynamic Websites.
- Static or Basic Websites– Static Website is said to be the simple website which contains one or two web pages. These pages are also called HTML Pages. You can create these two pages on your own and then upload them to your host’s server by using FTP software. You cannot modify this website dynamically. It is cheaper than the dynamic website. And it comes up with limited options.
- Dynamic Websites- Dynamic websites change day by day. The changes depend on time, viewer and other factors. This website makes the use of both the scripts- Client Side and Server Side. These scripts are used to create and update the content. Dynamic websites are CMS-driven which allow you to directly add and edit content like ( text, design, photos, and videos). It also lets your visitors leave comments and start discussions.
Step 2- Choose Hosting Server
There are two types of hosting platforms depending on your hosting needs and requirements. The two types of hosting are- Linux and Windows.
- Linux Hosting- It allows the scripts written in PHP, Perl, Python, and another language. It supports PostgreSQL and MySQL database.
- Windows Hosting- It allows the script written in ASP. The .NET and other Microsoft technologies support Microsoft SQL Server and Access database.
Step 3- Select Suitable Hosting Plan
There is a wide range of hosting types. You can choose according to the needs and requirements of your website. Here is the explanation of the types of web hosting available in the market.
- Shared Web Hosting -Shared Hosting is a type of hosting service which is beneficial for beginners. If you are going to start up your new website then Shared Web Hosting service is best for you. It is very affordable hosting as the server or its resources are shared amongst the other websites.
- VPS ( Virtual Private Server) -For a growing business, VPS is the solid choice for you. It is very reliable and provides a complete customization facility without a dedicated price tag. In this type of hosting websites are stored on a particular server and it is divided into several virtual departments. If you have a high-security concern and do not want to spend more then it is the best choice for your website.
- Dedicated Hosting-In Dedicated hosting you will get the entire server for your website. Your website is the only one which will utilize the resources of that web server. You will have the proper control over the webserver and its resources. It is the preferred solution for the website which have a large range of traffic and want more security and features. It allows for maximum customization, configuration, installation, and flexibility.
- Cloud Hosting– A Cloud Server is not limited to the single server the data of your website will expand dynamically. If any of the servers went down the nearest one will provide you the resources. It has the ability to handle a large amount of traffic. Business enterprises usually prefer this cloud hosting.
Step 4- Design Your Website
Once you have selected the hosting plan the next step is to design your website. Choose a suitable theme that fulfills your website’s needs. There are thousands of websites themes that looks professionals and attractive. Choose an appropriate theme and design your website.
Step 5- Change Your DNS Address
To get your website up and working, it is important to change the name server of your domain name. These are some of the steps which will help you to change the DNS Address:
- Visit your Domain Control Panel
- Log in your Control Panel by entering the email address and password
- Select the Domain Name of which you want to change its name server
- Click the Name Server option
- Replace the name server with the new one and click the update button
After the change, it will take only 24-48 hours to change the DNS( Domain Name Server) Address.
Step 6- Upload Your Website
Now, you can upload your website by using Online File Manager. After this process, your website will go live on the internet. You can upload your website via two methods- by using Cpanel or from FTP Client.
Here are some of the steps which will help you to upload your file through your Cpanel:
- Login to your Cpanel
- Click on the File Manager
- Choose the WebRoot and Go
- Add all the files of public_html
Here are some of the steps which will help you to upload your file via FTP Client:
- Connect to FTP via FTP Programm
- Add all the files of public_html
After this process, your website will be uploaded and you will go live over the Internet.
These are some of the steps which will help you to host your website on your own. These are some of the best ways to host a website. I hope this article helps you to find the answer to How to host a website? If you are a beginner and want to check more details about web hosting then check out Web Hosting Guidelines for Beginners on our page.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How Can I Host my Website for Free?
While some times you should use paid hosting plans, sometimes you just want to emit your latest project up quickly and be done with it at no cost to you. Here are some of the hosting providers which will provide free hosting for your website.
Where Can I Host my Website?
These are the top and best web hosting companies which provides one of the reliable and flexible web hostings. Here is the list of some web hosting providers:
What is the Best Hosting Site for Small Business?
Here are some of the best hosting providers for small business with their advanced features:
- GoDaddy- Full of Frequent Features
- Hostgator– Best in Overall hosting solutions
- Bluehost- Great option for WordPress sites
- A2Hosting- Excellent option for Cloud Hosting
- 1&1 IONOS– Flexible and reliable
- Siteground– Brilliant Technical Support team
- iPage– Pocket-Friendly Plans